This month in Facebook virtual challenges… May 2022
Observations of what’s going on in the world of Facebook virtual challenges
We’re now halfway through the year in terms of Facebook challenge recruitment and so far in 2022 I’ve seen almost 650,000 Group members across more than 230 Groups. What a HUGE achievement and a sign of the phase of maturity we’re seeing in this marketplace. Since the massive jump from last year, we’re now at fairly stable numbers of challenges each month (35–50) in comparison to last year when a ‘very busy’ month was more than 20 at once.
Based on GivePanel’s benchmark data from 2021 in which the active fundraiser conversion was 29%, it would mean that there were 186,000 active fundraisers so far in 2022 taking part in Facebook challenges which is incredible and equates to millions of pounds being raised.
Right, back to the usual updates…
- It’s been really promising to see the average Group size increasing month-on-month for the first time in 2022 . This month saw an average of 2,541, up 33% on last month and the highest we’ve seen since March 2022 challenges.
- There does seem to be a pattern of alternating busy months (44–50 challenges) and less busy months (35–43 challenges). It’s too early to say why this might be, or even if it will continue, but definitely interesting to observe.
- I’ve seen fewer runs Facebook challenges this month, making up only 7% of the total challenges I’ve seen for June — the lowest in 2022. That drop is being filled with fitness challenges, swims, and some interesting tests including badminton and a climbing challenge. Walks continue to make up more than half of the events out there, and just under half the total Group members across the month.
- This month’s largest Groups included walking, yoga, skipping and squats so a real mix. With three ‘fitness challenges’ in the top five Groups this month, you can see why while they make up 16% of the number of challenges this month, their membership makes up 31% of June challenge Group members.
- We’re getting to the stage now where some charities are into double figures with the number of Facebook virtual challenges hosted in 2022. Cancer Research UK have their 10th and 11th events of the year lined up for July (Maggie’s are on 23 if you count across all their regional variants!).
- I’m still seeing more organisations jumping on board for their first challenges though, so welcome and good luck to those joining and making their first forays into the Facebook virtual challenge space.
- As I write this at the end of May, there are already at least 16 Challenges ready to begin recruiting in June including burpees, hula hooping, gaming and tennis to name a few.